16 Mar Coleridge Reading Corner Fundraising Appeal
As part of Coleridge Loves Reading Festival, Coleridge Families (Coleridge School Parent and Staff Association) is working together with the school to update Reading Corners in all year groups.
To make this happen, we need your help!
- The aim of this fundraiser is to raise a minimum of £500 per classroom (we have 28 classrooms across the school plus the Nursery and Rainbow Class). The more we raise, the further we can take the vision for those spaces!
- The money raised will be used to invest in new bookshelves, storage, seating and soft furnishings, to replace current semi-permanent solutions and bring a more consistent experience as the child moves up the school.
- A reading space can help build literacy skills, such as sentence structure, punctuation and grammar. This is because, when books are readily available to use, students are more likely to pick them up and read them, which is fantastic for developing important skills in reading and writing.
- Research shows that 57% of 8-year-olds read five to seven nights per week, BUT this figure drops to 35% in 9-year-olds (Source: Scholastic Reads ‘The Decline by 9’)
- Reading is the basis for independent learning; it is the gateway to many other areas of knowledge and understanding.
- Reading for pleasure is more important factor in life achievement than socio-economic background
- Being ‘literate’ increases life expectancy in the UK by 15 – 20 Years (Source: The Literacy Trust)
- 40% of 8-year-olds say they love reading; only 28% of 9-year-olds say the same (Source: Scholastic Reads ‘The Decline by 9’)
You can donate via:
Givey at www.givey.com/ColeridgeLovesReading, or directly to Coleridge Families account
Account name: Coleridge Families
Account number: 5155414119
Sort code: 60-06-26,
We can also accept donations through Give As You Earn schemes available via your employers (such as CAF, Benevity etc). Please email: ColeridgeFamilies@gmail.com if you wish to contribute through those.